Hello, Friends and Family of Eastbrook Healthcare,
As you know, the health and safety of our residents is Eastbrook’s top priority at all times. In light of recent events, moving forward we will be utilizing email to communicate and give updates regarding the current Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic and its current and future impact here at Eastbrook. Our main goal is to keep you all as informed as possible in order to relieve any amount of stress we know you may be feeling. We know that the following improvements to our safety plan may seem significant, and this is so we do everything in our power to protect our vulnerable population.
Eastbrook Healthcare currently has no cases of COVID-19 in our building. We are following Centers for Medicare and Medicaid (CMS), Ohio Department of Health (ODH) and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines to try and keep the residents and staff healthy and free of COVID 19.
Background on COVID-19:
COVID-19 is a respiratory disease that can result in serious illness or death, it is caused by the SARS_CoV-2 virus, which is a new strain of Coronavirus that had not been previously identified in humans and can easily spread from person to person. The virus is spread between individuals who are in close contact with each other (within about six feet) through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes. It may be possible that individuals can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose or eyes.
Eastbrook is continuing to take steps to prevent COVID-19:
- As you are already aware, we are continuing to restrict all access to the building for all parties unless access is absolutely necessary for the operation of the nursing home. All individuals that do need access to the building are being screened for known symptoms including body temperatures.
- Staff and residents have been educated on infection control procedures including proper handwashing and hand sanitizing.
- On Saturday, the Governor and the Department of Health directed all Nursing Homes to temporarily stop serving meals in dining rooms or communal areas. As of yesterday, 3/14/2020, we have started serving all meals directly to the residents’ rooms. Since we will be delivering trays to the residents’ rooms, we would love to deliver personalized messages to them on their meal trays. If you would like to email us or send in a message through our website http://east- brookhealth.com/send-a-greeting/, we would be glad to deliver it to your family member/friend.
- Nursing Homes have also been asked to stop large group activities and to request/encourage social distancing for the residents.
- We have educated the residents and staff on the concept of social distancing and on the temporary discontinuation of group activities (residents are free to move about the facility; we are just discouraging group gatherings).
- The Activities Department is fast at work to develop individual programs. We are going to be instituting hallway bingo, Karaoke and other games residents can play from their doorways or inside their rooms.
Communication with your friend/family at Eastbrook:
During this time when in-person visits are restricted, we would like to still give you the opportunity to virtually visit with your loved ones. In order to do so, we are able to send you a video message from your loved one or we are able to help set up a video conference through Facetime, WhatsApp, Microsoft teams, Skype, Snapchat or any other social media platform. If you would like to take advantage of any of these options please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the 216-282-9075 and leave a voicemail so that we can set up a time to do so.
Healthcare workers and staff at Eastbrook are tasked daily with helping your family and friends remain healthy, especially during this pandemic. Schools and daycares are closed which in turn creates a great strain on the medical profession. We are looking into contracting with childcare programs in the area to assist anyone who needs new daycare options.
Eastbrook ownership realizes this great strain and is trying to alleviate as many outside burdens/tensions so that all staff can continue to deliver excellent care to your friends and family. This includes an increase in hourly salaries to all eligible staff, an attendance bonus, modified/creative schedules to those who need them, free lunches/dinners offered to all staff, raffles, and incentives for future vacations. We are also working with the Activities Department to create fun activities and theme days for the staff and residents to participate in together (pajama day tomorrow) while keeping to our commitment to implement social distancing. Videos will be made of these fun activities and per request can be sent out to you.
Lastly and very importantly, we are very interested in your support and feedback. Let us know if we can communicate in a different manner that would be more effective for you. Let us know if you have any activity ideas or anything that will help us get through this difficult time as we want to support your family and friends the best way possible. Please feel free to email me at email@example.com at any time.
Kerry Neal RN, BSN, LNHA
17322 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio 44112 | (216) 486-2280 ph | (216) 600-0100 fax